Home water damage can cause devastating damage that can lead to huge losses. In case you discover a water damage situation in your home, the following steps will assist in water damage restoration, will also ensure your safety, and the safety of your family and also help you salvage your belongings.
- First of all find the water damage source e.g. the bath overflow
- Try your best to turn off or stop the water damage source e.g. turn off the leaking tap, or turn off the water mains.
- To ensure your hard floor surfaces do not get slippery to avoid accidents, place down sheets and towels to absorb water.
- If you are insured, contact your insurance company
- Contact a qualified and reliable water damage company such as All Aces Services
- Remove all items and objects from areas affected by the water damage
- Elevate or even move all furniture if possible
- To protect the carpet from weep and stain while moving the furniture, use plastic bags to cover the wooden or steel legs of the furniture.
- Elevate or remove MDF furniture or chip board
- Ensure there is proper air circulation in the house because its assists in the drying process. Thus, open doors and windows and if possible turn on air-conditioning and fans.
When contacting our All Aces Services ensure that you have the following details at hand:
- Insurance policy or claim number
- Personal details such as your full name, phone number, physical address and email address
- The areas in your house affected by the water damage
- The size of the damaged area
- When the damage occurred
- The steps you have taken so far to improve the situation
- If you have rented the house ensure that you have first contacted the owner of the property or your real estate agent before contacting us.
- Remove as much water as you can by mopping and using towels
- Ensure your furniture is dry by wiping it down
- For better air circulation, use fans which will facilitate faster the drying process
- Lift curtains and other drapes off the floor
- Elevate and remove as much furniture as you can furniture
- Remove loose floor coverings and any other objects or items from the wet area
- If water damage occurs during summer use an air-conditioner if possible; if in a cool season, leave heat on.
- Contact us at All Aces Services to help you with your water damage checklist or your DIY.
Things to avoid
- Avoid going into rooms with stagnant water if the power still on
- Do not use electrical appliances on your carpets or floors if they are still wet
- Do not try using an ordinary household vacuum cleaner to remove water. Use rags, towels or mops to remove the water.
- If you have a tacked down carpet do not remove it without professional help. If you lift the carpet inappropriately, the carpet may shrink which is a defect that cannot be repaired or corrected.
- Do not hesitate to contact our All Aces Services available 24 hours 7 days at 1800 00 10 10 to seek our professional assistance. This is because water damage and bacteria growth can begin sooner than you think (within hours).