Water Damage Checklist – DIY
Home water damage can cause devastating destruction and lead to huge losses. If you discover water damage in your home, the following steps will; assist in water damage restoration, ensure your safety, the safety of your family and help you to salvage your belongings.
Water Damage Checklist: What to do
- First, it is important to find the water damage source e.g. the bath overflow.
- Try your best to turn off or stop the water damage source e.g. turn off the leaking tap or switch off the water mains.
- To ensure your hard floor surfaces do not get slippery and to avoid accidents, place down sheets and towels to absorb water.
- If you are insured, contact your insurance company.
- Contact a qualified and reliable water remediation company such as AllAces Cleaning & Restoration.
- Remove all items and objects from areas affected by the water damage.
- Elevate or move as much furniture as possible
- To protect the carpet from staining while moving the furniture, use plastic bags to cover the wooden or steel legs of the furniture.
- Elevate or remove MDF furniture or chip board
- Ensure that there is proper air circulation in the house as it assists in the drying process. Open any doors and windows if possible and turn on air conditioning and fans.
When Contacting AllAces Cleaning & Restoration, ensure that you have the following details at hand:
- Your insurance policy or claim number
- Your personal details such as your full name, phone number, physical address, and email address
- The areas in your house that have been affected by the water damage
- The size of the damaged area
- When the damage occurred
- The steps that you have taken so far to improve the situation
Water Damage Check List: Our Helpful Hints
- If you have rented the house, ensure that you have first contacted the owner of the property or your real estate agent before contacting us.
- Remove as much of the water as you can by mopping and using towels.
- Ensure that your furniture is dry by wiping it down.
- For better air circulation, use fans which will facilitate a faster drying process.
- Lift curtains and drapes off the floor.
- Elevate or remove as much furniture as you can from the affected area.
- Remove loose floor coverings and any other objects or items from the affected area.
- If the water damage occurs during summer, use an air conditioner if possible. If the damage occurs in a cool season, leave heat on it.
- Contact us at AllAces to help you with your water damage checklist.
Water Damage Checklist: Things to Avoid
- Avoid going into rooms with stagnant water if the power is still on.
- Do not use electrical appliances on your carpet or floors if they are still wet.
- Do not try using an ordinary household vacuum cleaner to remove water. Use rags, towels, or mops to remove water.
- If you have a tacked down carpet do not remove it without professional help. If you lift the carpet inappropriately, the carpet may shrink which is a defect that cannot be repaired or corrected.
Do not hesitate to contact AllAces Cleaning & Restoration to seek professional help. Water damage and bacteria growth can begin sooner than you think. Call 1800 00 1010.