Summer is on its way which means warmer weather and an increase in humidity. Whilst this weather is perfect for the beach, it’s also perfect for bacterial growth such as mould. Here at All Aces Services, we are professionally trained to inspect mould affected areas and prepared reports for insurance purposes that detail damage to the property and rectification methods. However there are some simple things you need to know about mould that can help you out.
What you need to know about mould:
- Mould, mushrooms and yeast are all types of fungi. Fungi are found both indoors and outdoors.
- Mould can be different colours. Mould can be furry, slimy or powdery. Mould can have different odours eg. musty, stale or earthy.
- Mould needs water, oxygen and food to grow and it prefers areas with high humidity and/ or damp conditions.
- Mould affects people differently. Some people show symptoms of coughing, congestion, runny noses or trouble breathing. Mould can also worsen the symptoms of asthma and other allergies.
- Bleach does not kill mould. Painting over mould will not kill it or seal it up either.
- Just because mould is not visible, does not mean it is not present.
- The most effective way to treat and rectify a mould problem is to remove the sources of water and moisture from the affected area. If this is not done, the mould will easily return.
So what exactly IS mould?
Moulds are simple, microscopic organisms which are present in the environment both indoors and outdoors almost everywhere. Moulds break down organic material and helps to recycle nutrients back into the environment. Mould will gradually digest organic material, however as part of that process mould will gradually destroy whatever it grows on – furniture, walls and even floors. Mould removal should be done as quickly as possible as it can damage your building in severe cases.
Moulds release tiny spores which can travel through the air and often have mycotoxins and allergens attached to them, which is the main way they affect humans. If indoor mould contamination is extensive, it can cause a high level or airborne spore and mould fragment exposures. People who are exposed to mould in this way can become sensitised and develop allergies or other serious health problems. Common symptoms of mould exposure are:
- nasal and sinus congestion
- eye irritation (burning, watery or reddened eyes)
- dry, hacking cough
- nose or throat irritation
- skin rashes or irritation
- headaches, memory problems, mood swings, depression
- nosebleed, body aches and pains, and fevers.
Some SOURCES of indoor moisture which can lead to mould are:
- Leaky roofs
- Plumbing leaks
- Overflow from sinks and sewers
- Steam from showers or kitchen cooking
- Wet clothes drying indoors or clothes dryers exhausting indoors
The easiest way to IDENTIFY if you have mould is to use your sight and smell. If you see mould or smell mould, you more than likely have a problem.
How do you RECTIFY a mould problem?
The first thing you should do is contact a professional, such as All Aces Services, to inspect and report on the situation so that you know exactly what is causing the mould and how the situation can be rectified.
Some other general procedures you can follow are:
- Identify and eliminate the sources of moisture to the mould affected area
- Identify and assess the magnitude and area of the mould contamination
- Clean and dry the mouldy areas – use a sanitising treatment on affected area.
- Bag and dispose of all materials that may have mouldy residues, such as rags, paper, leaves and debris.
If you have any concerns about mould removal, please contact All Aces Services. We’re happy to help you rectify your mould issues.