More than just an eyesore, mould can become a significant health hazard if left unchecked. We are not here to play the role of simple fearmongers, however.
Not all species of mould are toxic, some, in fact, are almost harmless. Despite this revelation, they still pose a notable threat as they also seriously degrade the structural integrity and value or your property. Below are some important facts that we, as professional mould restoration technicians, think that everyone should know.
Mould loves humid climates
Mould is a fungus that sustains itself by feeding off the surfaces it sits on. These fungi thrive in damp, warm and humid climates. This is why mould growth is so prevalent after consistently heavy rainfall, in bathrooms with poor ventilation, and around air conditioners with fluid problems.
It is important to monitor the humidity levels of your home. Easy ways to help prevent mould growth include:
Installing air dehumidifiers,
Opening windows to allow a drying breeze through the space, and
Keeping on top of maintenance tasks to avoid leaks
Air flow is key
Nearly as important as maintaining low levels of humidity is allowing for good ventilation. If you can keep fresh air moving around your home or place of business, it will go a long way to ensuring that mould does not become an issue.
Simply applying bleach to wipe away visible mould in not effective
It is a common misconception that wiping a surface with bleach is an effective mould remediation technique. This is a dangerous myth.
Bleach will neither kill nor clean away mould efficiently. Unless used in tandem with radical improvements to the environment that has allowed the mould to grow, you will experience rapid regrowth.
Another concern is that it does nothing to address the airborne particles that make mould so toxic. Bleach is a simple ‘out of sight, out of mind’ solution that merely removes visible mould, if that.
There are many health risks associated with exposure to toxic mould
Some of the possible risks and side effects of breathing in mould spores include: • Asthma • Lung infections • Allergic Reactions • Fevers • Skin Diseases • Internal Bleeding • Short term memory loss • Neurological and nervous disorders • Bronchitis • Cancer • Brain Damage
It is clear that the list grows increasingly severe, bordering the ridiculous towards its end, however – asthma, lung infections and allergic reaction are extremely common responses to mould and claim countless lies every day.
If you suspect the presence of mould in your premises or realise that you have been experiencing any of these symptoms without a clear causation, it is important to act quickly. Using the services of a mould remediation specialist will ensure the safe removal of this potential health hazard.
Do not fall victim to the many mould ‘myths’ floating around
Just like the toxic airborne spores produced by mould, there are a lot of dangerous myths circulating about mould. Below are the four most common misconceptions we hear from clients daily. Read more about them in our article – Mould – Myths & Misleads
#1 Bleach is a cure all for mould
#2 It’s only black mould that you need to be worried about
#3 I only have to worry about mould if I can see it
#4 Good ventilation prevents ANY mould growth
If you are concerned about mould removal, call our specialists on 1800 00 10 10.