Mould – Myths + Misleads

Four common myths about mould

Operating in the cleaning and remediation industry since 1988, we have come to be known as experts in the field. Mould is one of our specialties, and we are very good at what we do.

In our years of experience, we have noticed that conversations about mould will often lead to the debate of many reoccurring myths. The following is a list of our favourite fables – debunked.

Myth #1 – Bleach

“Just chuck some beach on it, mate. She’ll be right”

As is the case with most good myths, it is founded in an element of truth. Bleach does, indeed, kill a good amount of mould present on hard surfaces. However, it is definitely not recommended as a regular remediation tactic. This is because while it will kill some of the mould growth, it certainly will not get all of it. More importantly, it is not enough to simply kill mould. Mould must be killed AND THEN removed. Even dead mould spores create a hazardous environment to people living and working in close vicinity to them.

To reiterate that last point, mould can continue to be a health risk even after it is killed. This is why professional mould remediation services are required. We not only kill the mould, but also clear it away from the surface area and the air. It is these floating mould spores, mycotoxins and gases that are the real danger inherent in poisonous moulds.

A note on bleach in general. Bleach itself is not the safest of chemicals to have in your home:

  • Bleach is bad for your health – it is a chlorine-based, corrosive substance.
  • You must be careful to not mix bleach with any of your other household cleaning supplies because it may result in the release of toxic fumes.
  • The health effects of mould include irritation and corrosion of the skin, lungs and eyes. This often causes headaches, migraines, muscle weakness, abdominal discomfort, esophageal perforation, nausea, and vomiting. In extreme cases, it can also damage your nervous system. These symptoms are even more severe in people who suffer from asthma and allergies.

 

Myth #2 – Black Mould – colour scale

It is true that mould can be black. It is also true that black mould can be poisonous. Unfortunately, it is now acceptable to assume that ALL black mould is toxic. Even worse, a lot of people now believe that ONLY black mould is toxic. This creates the dangerous situation is which households and workplaces do not seek professional intervention for mould growth that is, in fact, detrimental to the health of the building/vehicle’s occupants.

A note about mould colouring:

  • Mould can be ANY colour – The colour of mould is affected by the humidity level, its food source, and the amount of light that it receives. Black, gray, green, white, red, yellow, pink, orange, purple, and brown can all be represented in the SAME species of mould.
  • Mould is fickle – Not only can the same species of mould present in different colours, but the same colony of mould can change colour over time!
  • Colour doesn’t matter – Ignore the colour of your mould. The two most important things to identify are the primary cause of the mould, and the impact that it is having on your health.
  • Colour does not indicate a specific ‘danger-level’ – Colour doesn’t even indicate species.. How can it indicate its toxicity? Colour is more indicative of the mould’s food source and the humidity level than anything else.

 

Myth #3 – Visible mould is the only cause for concern

Unfortunately, mould can be incredibly sneaky. If it is, indeed, one of the more sinister species, it can begin contaminating the air long before it becomes visible. This is why it is essential to have an awareness of a few different elements in your environment at all times:\

  • Increased moisture – Look out for recent or prolonged water ingress. Mould will THRIVE in a damp environment.
  • Poor ventilation – Insufficient air-flow is a proponent of mould growth. If the space you occupy is always shut up and/or does not receive regular air flow, mould may soon become an issue.
  • Look to yourself – If you notice an onset of irritations or ‘unprovoked’ symptoms, it could mean that you need to consider the presence of mould. Headaches, migraines, muscle weakness, abdominal discomfort, esophageal perforation, nausea, and vomiting can all be induced by exposure to mould.

 

Myth #4 – Good ventilation prevents any mould growth

As much as we may wish it, effective mould remediation is not a case of simply opening a window and uttering the words, ‘Mould be gone!”.

Wouldn’t that be nice..!

Mould needs to be handled carefully and thoroughly. It needs to be killed and the dead spores removed from both the surface area and air. AllAces has a highly specialised range of tools and, when wielded by our highly trained IICRC and RIA certified technicians, makes this easily accomplished.

If you have become aware of mould growth in your home or place of work, do not risk your health. Call the professionals on 1800 00 1010 and have the problem resolved properly.

We are here to help