If your home has been flooded, there is a good chance that you will end up with a mould problem and be facing the dangers of fungal growth, bacteria, strong mould odour and other contaminants. There are, however, several steps that you can take to prevent mould growth after your home has been flooded. Mould can grow in a home that has been flooded for even a day or two. Because of this, it is extremely important to act quickly to prevent the growth after flooding. Below is outlined the process that we take.
Ensure that all items that are not wet are removed and put in a dry place during the clean-up of your home or office.
It is very important that the source of moisture is cut off as mould thrives in a damp, unventilated areas with high humidity. Often, it is very easy to identify the source of moisture, like a leak in the window. However, sometimes the source of moisture can be harder to track.
If you cannot identify the source of moisture, yet you can smell mould, call our mould damage restoration specialists at AllAces Cleaning & Restoration to make an inspection and to identify the location of the mould.
Next you must remove as much flood water as you can from your affected home. This task may require help from a builder or plumber. As a homeowner you can use buckets and mops to extract water if it is safe to do so. Remove any dirt, mud, and other debris that was swept into your house during the flood.
Drying out your home is not a simple task but can be best achieved by a professional restoration company. This can be done using dehumidifiers, ventilators, and heaters, if it is safe to use electrical appliances. To assist with drying out your home, open the windows and doors. This will help to ventilate your house if the air outside your home is not humid.
The padding of affected carpet can take time to dry out, so it is important that the carpet is removed. Additionally, any affected drywall may harbour mould growth, so it is important that any affected drywall is disposed of.
Killing any mould can be a challenging task, however, it can be done naturally by using UV light and wiping down all affected surfaces with a mixture of white vinegar and water.
Total mould removal can only be effectively achieved by a professional water damage restoration company like AllAces Cleaning & Restoration. If you have any concerns about mould in your home or business, call us on 1800 00 1010.