Moulds are various types of fungi that grow in filaments and reproduce by forming spores. They may live indoors or outdoors and thrive in damp, warm, humid environments. Not all moulds are toxic or poisonous however, certain moulds are toxigenic, which means they produce toxins. Allergic reactions are the common health effects of mould. Hazards presented by moulds include contaminated indoor air and illness caused by the structural buildings.
Moulds may cause:
- Allergic reactions
- Lung infections
- Skin diseases like rashes and open sores
- Immunity deficiencies
- Internal bleeding
- Loss of appetite
- Short term memory loss
- Neurological and nervous disorders
- Chronic bronchitis
- Joint and muscle pains
Severe and high levels of exposure may cause:
- Long term memory loss
- Bleeding lungs
- Brain damage
Causes of Mould
The following conditions may help in the growth of mould:
- Mold spores
- Food source
- Enough time
Tips for Mould Prevention
Controlling dampness is the key to prevent mould growth. Mould infestation usually occurs in damp crawlspaces, in basements with poor foundation drainage and in attics and walls where water leaks from the outside.
Here are a few steps to help prevent mould:
- Stop leaks from the outside and repairing leaks in plumbing or other structures that lead to moisture build-up.
- Ensure good ventilation in attics.
- Keep crawlspaces dry by maintaining good ventilation in the home.
- Routing water away from the foundation.
- Painting the damp areas like bathrooms and outside shady areas with mildew-cide paints.
- Using an air conditioner or air dehumidifier during humid seasons can help reduce moisture build-up.
- Avoid using carpets in humid areas like bathrooms and basements.
- Using professional services to clean-up large areas of mould.
Services Offered for Mould Prevention
We follow these remedies for on-site services:
- Identifying the severity and extent of mould growth
- Checking the humidity
- Detecting the sources of moisture
- Removing dead spores
- Testing the indoor air quality
- Cleaning leather, upholstery, rugs, carpets, walls, ceiling and floors
- Removing products that cannot be repaired
Mould problems should be dealt by qualified technicians trained in treating moulds. Technicians from All Aces Cleaning & Restoration will help detect mould problem areas and provide a solution to treat them
You can get our expert help on mould removal by calling 1800 00 10 10.